Why I Believe Fat Phobia is Real?

 November  is coming to an end and pushing us further into fall bliss and closer to winter! I hope everyone is pushing forward through the lasting obstacles in our world! I’ve been hammered with family and school turmoil, so it’s been awhile since I’ve been able to tend to my blog. I’m so glad to be back posting! I want to discuss fat phobia today. Fat phobia is defined as having a fear or dislike  or discriminating against people because of their weight according to PubMed. The reason I’m writing this is because I’ve seen bad press surrounding the music artist Lizzo for awhile. People often attack her clothing choices and they usually try to say it’s due to not being appropriate for certain social settings. However, other celebrities in the exact same industry often don’t receive the same criticism. Instead it’s considered “sexy” or “stylish”. I can’t help but wonder how can people claim to have an issue with Lizzo’s fashion but not a Meg thee Stallion or Cardi B. You’d think it wouldn’t be a difference, especially with the music industry being notorious for its “sex sells” belief system. I can’t see what the basis of  the criticism is, but I do believe it’s an issue that can cause harm to others self esteem. It’s not okay to pick on someone consistently for their style due to their weight but praising others with the same exact style. Women dressing risqué is not often bashed in the world of celebrities and I don’t think it’s right for Lizzo to be everyone’s verbal punching bag. She reserves the right to dress however and she shouldn’t be bullied for it. Some people may think she promotes obesity, but her clothing and weight/health shouldn’t be connected. It’s not common for us as people to see someone in certain clothes and start self diagnosing them, and if some people do that they shouldn’t be judging people unfairly. This post is long overdue, but I look forward to being back posting, especially as my fall semester is coming to a close!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Wrong With Black Women?

Back 2 School Expenses You Didn’t Think About

Money Monday 💲💲💲