No Sleep

    I'm a sufferer of chronic sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is when you can't move or talk while falling asleep or when you are trying to wake up. Horrifying is an understatement to describe these experiences. You are very aware that you want to wake up and can even hear your own thoughts, but you can not gain full consciousness. It's really terrifying because no matter how bad you want to wake up you just can not. On top of that usually there's a crazy nightmare taking place while you are going through this. This occurs because of the sleep stages we experience. A person with sleep paralysis usually is not going through the sleep cycles normally. This lapse in the sleep cycles causes this phenomenon. It's something I've dealt with for years. When I was younger I didn't put much thought into this having a name. I honestly just thought I was having regular nightmares. I would pray and wake up like nothing happened. Around 2012, I decided to Google search the symptoms and I found out these intense night terrors have a name. It wasn't as much info back then as it is now. Honestly, there's still not a lot of info on this because no one is exactly sure if it's science or spiritually related. This post isn't going to be filled with tons of info on either of those theories but I'm going to explain how I cope with it, what improves it for me, and just how it affects me. The biggest way it affects me is it makes me feel sleep deprived. It is so difficult to always have a feeling of fatigue. As a mom there's a ton of things that need to be done so it's hard some days to not have the energy to match the length of my to- do list. I usually have to suck up this tiredness, utilize fruit drinks or caffeine, take vitamins, and force a time period to rest( not sleep , but just get off my feet and slow down my thoughts.)  My husband helped me come up with some solutions that are slowly helping. We are using aroma therapy to help me relax in the evening. I have a tough time with not overdoing everything so this really helps me as I settle down from the busyness of my day. My husband also found out that anything that can calm my thoughts is good to have anytime I go to bed. So for most people that's music. For me, it's audiobooks or sermons. I usually play the dramatized audio bible, because that's what I'm into but any thing that calms a person down can be used. I make sure to only go get in bed when I'm extremely sleepy and going to fall asleep immediately. If not, my thoughts will run and this increases my chance to have sleep paralysis. Lastly, sleep positions matter a lot!!!!! I no longer sleep on my back because I will definitely experience it when I do. I sleep on my side and sometimes my stomach. However, online some people said sleeping on their back helps them so I guess everyone experience is different. Hopefully, this post gave a little insight on what having sleep paralysis can be like and some things that can possibly make it less severe. 

Comments

  1. I experience this too!! I hate it and it doesn't happen as often anymore but the scary thing is, idk when it will happen! Idk what causes it and it just randomly happens, but hasn't happened in months so ,fingers crossed lol. Good read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and yeah it's weird how sporadic it occurs. I'm with you on the 🤞 lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's Wrong With Black Women?

Back 2 School Expenses You Didn’t Think About

Money Monday 💲💲💲